The Big Move Part III

Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]


In the basement blower room, we disconnected and removed the two main reservoirs mounted above the blower, and transported them and the heavy combination action cabinets to the truck,

Because the blower motor was a heavy-duty one with a cast iron housing, weighing well over 200 pounds, we removed it and transported it separately from the blower itself, which weighed about 300-350 pounds on its frame.

The blower just fit through the outside basement door, which was obviously the way it was brought in since there was no way it could have negotiated the stairs from the main level.

It was too heavy to slide up the outside steps, even with boards to use as an inclined plane, so we needed another approach.

 

Using my car as an anchor point, we attached a chain fall to the towing hitch and neatly parbuckled the blower up the ramp.

Unfortunately, just then a security guard noticed my car parked on the grass (there was indeed a "Do Not Park On Grass" sign somewhere) and came over to complain. Upon being convinced that we were indeed authorized to remove the organ, he let us stay there the few additional minutes it took.

Once we had the blower at ground level, we then needed to get it onto two dollies to roll it to the waiting truck, which was equipped with a hydraulic lift gate. The motor was no problem since it was easily handled with a hand truck.
Using another hand truck we lifted one end ot the blower at a time so that a dolly could be placed under it. This made it very easy to roll the blower. By this time our crew had gotten quite good at working together seamlessly while maintaining safe working practices, and this part of the task was accomplished rapidly.
We were very grateful that we had that lift gate on the truck, as it would have been quite a job getting it loaded otherwise.
 

 

By this time we were nearing the end of our job, which was most fortunate because I had to work at my paying job the next day. In fact, we had to pull an all-nighter to finish the rigging stuff so that I could return the equipment I had borrowed. We finished about 0500 hours, which gave me just enough time to drive back to the ship and get a whole 90 minutes rest before standing watch.

Here is where we made a big mistake --- there was by this time no room in either truck for the swell box partitions, floor framing and most importantly for the main chest framework. A decision was made not to hire a third truck since it was felt that new framing would have to be made since the organ layout would be completely different on the one level in the new church.

That was true, but the material still could have been reused and would have saved us a lot of money. But hard lessons can sometimes be expensive. Fortunately, while we left the enclosure material for the swell and choir divisions, we did take all the shades and their frames, as well as all of the pipe supports and blower reservoir frames.

 

We were DONE!  Finally!  The trucks headed for Florida, and unloaded everything into a large double storage bay we had previously rented.

We expected to continue the transplant project soon. Little did we know how long it would actually be before the organ would sound again.

 

 

The New Church


Home ] Where it Was ] The Big Move ] The Big Move Part II ] [ The Big Move Part III ] The New Church ] Console Rebuilding ] Renovation ] Final Preparation ] Installation ] Credits ]

This page was last updated on 11/10/08.
All content copyright 2006 Brian F. Bailey, W4OLF